• Pat graduated from Durand High School in 1959 as Co-salutatorian.
• During her 44 years with Grand Trunk Railroad and Canadian National Railway, Pat was sent by CN to attend the Executive Management program in Toronto, Ontario, at York University. She also earned the Certified Quality Auditor designation while serving as Director of Quality, reporting directly to CN headquarters in Montreal Quebec.
• Pat was a member of the CN US Executive President’s team as Manager Administration for US properties located in the Chicago Illinois area. Prior to working in Chicago, she worked in Flint, Detroit and Troy. During her tenure in Chicago, she developed a Customer Service Center in Chicago as well as an Administrative Service Center in Detroit. She was selected to lead the Y2K program for the US CN properties.
• In 2003 Pat was given the CN President’s Award for excellence for assisting in developing new Safety Rules Books to be used by all operating employees.
• In 2003 Pat was honored as Woman of the Year by the National Association of Railway Business Women, for mentoring women in railroading.
• In 2003 Pat was honored by her peers as Railroad Person of the Year during the Durand Railroad Days celebration.
• After retiring from CN in 2003, she worked as Executive Director of the Greater Durand Area Chamber of Commerce from 2006 until 2009.
• Pat joined the Durand Rotary Club and was immediately appointed to the position of Program Chair from 2007-2010.
• From 2011 to 2012 Pat served as President of the Durand Rotary Club. During that year the club received a district grant to start a backpack program in the grade schools. The Durand Schools honored the club with its prestigious School Bell Award. The club was selected by Rotary International to take part in the pilot program, membership was increased, and for the first time ever the club won the Foundation Contribution Banner from the district. The Durand Rotary Club far exceeded its Polio Plus goal, continued the Adopt a Highway program and won the District Traveling trophy at District conference.
• After serving as the first District New Generations Chair, Pat served as Assistant Governor of Area 3 before being elected District Governor, overseeing 32 clubs, until June of 2018.
• Pat served as Treasurer at First Congregational Church of Durand.
• She volunteered at Steam Railroading Institute in Owosso and belonged to Operation Lifesaver, National Association of Railroad Passengers, Michigan Association of Railroad Business Women, and was a founding member of The National Railroad Memorial Incorporated.
• Pat served on the Durand Union Station Board of Directors as well as the Shiawassee United Way board.
• She was a member of the Greater Durand Area Chamber of Commerce and the Shiawassee Regional Chamber of Commerce, completing the Leadership Shiawassee program in 2011.
And much, much, much more. Pat was also a friend and an inspiration. I hope to have a list of achievements, particularly those in the public service arena, a fraction as long one day.
A story and a life to be admired, cherished and honored, will be remembered on Saturday morning at 11am at First Congregational Church of Durand, 403 N. Saginaw Street.
My dad has a great new neighbor.
Read more on our OBITUARIES